Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Joy of Waking (Sunday, October 16, 2011)


The Joy of Waking

Sometimes I yearn for sleep and rest,
times alone on some deserted shore;
 when all the actions fade, all chores are done,
are done, all responsibilities handed on
for others to take care of.

But I know that time will come at last,
when there will be unending sleep,
rest eternal, and nothing but time
to contemplate in wonder
all that I have done and been and loved.

So for now, the yearning must give way
for greater joys of rising to greet the day;
of seizing time and making it my own,
binding all the ties of love and work and home
into one coherent masterwork eyes can see.

And if there’s never time enough to do it all,
 I have lived; I have been part
of this holy, earthly symphony
whose tune is Life, whose joy is now,
whose greatest call is not to stop ‘til day is done.

jbs

9/6/00          1/24/10          10/16/11

No comments:

Post a Comment